Recently, the Gulf Maharashtra Business Forum ( GMBF ) organised a fantastic conference cum exhibition at the DWTC – World Trade Center in Dubai. The conference was an avenue for Small businesses from Dubai and India to know more about the markets from a market entry and business expansion perspective. This was of particular interest for small businesses from India. I was invited there to talk about Case studies of Startups and Small Businesses which are using Internet as an effective marketing medium. Here is the presentation I made there.
A quick jist –
1. Internet can change lives – Who in India knew of Psy before Gangnam Style went viral? Today, the video has more than 50 Crore views online, and thats a huge achievement. Psy has become a world figure because of Internet. A similar story with Kolaveri Di.
2. Don’t go by the buzzwords – All the high flying buzzwords should make little difference to startups. Don’t go by the hype. Just do one thing, but do that one thing really well.
3. Email Marketing – Groupon and Snapdeal did one thing perfectly, that was Email Marketing. Just use Email marketing to tell your customers that you care about them, that you are doing something new and you will be rewarded.
4. Facebook marketing – Quite a lot of innovative companies are investing heavily into Facebook marketing very intelligently. Facebook builds engagement, which is vital for startups. Check out Chumbak, Mirraw and Bewakoof for knowing what these companies are doing.
5. SMS and Mobile Marketing – Building a connect via SMSes is something the Banks and Mcdonalds have done well. No reason why startups cannot replicate that aspect.
As said in the last part – its all about dangling the right carrot!
To know more about how these ideas can be implemented for your startup – please write to us at siddhesh AT strat DOT in
Here are some pictures of the convention – Mahabiz 2012 –