Presence on Internet today is not an option, its a necessity. But, just like merely opening a shop does not ensure its success, opening a website/ any other web presence does not ensure customers. There needs to be a plan, a thought out, executable plan with a timeline which needs to be put in place to ensure that you can use the internet in a profitable manner and acquire customers directly on the web.
1. Start small – Today, a lot of people will tell you to open a website and a facebook page and a google ad and a twitter account and a mobile website etc etc. Understand that your customer never asked you for that. I would always recommend to start small. I would recommend open a Facebook Page and start posting your products on the page. Alternatively, you list your products on free websites or on platforms to sell products like ebay or on educational marketplaces like trait etc.
2. What next after a Facebook Page? – After starting a facebook page – ensure that you post at least once a day on this facebook page. And every day, share this page with say 7 of your friends.
3. How to build activity – First rule of building activity is to encourage it. The answer to ‘How to encourage activity’ lies in (a) quick responses (b) Leading your audiences to talk (c) Posting about topics of general interest
4. Launching your first Internet presence – It may make sense to launch your internet presence, be it a website or facebook page, among your select customers etc. It can be a good avenue for interaction, thoughts exchange, networking as well as engagement.
5. Monitoring activity on the site – 3-4 months into your first web presence, you can start spotting trends about the website. That people check out certain pages more than others, that you are getting responses about a certain product or service more. Keep tracking all these things and accordingly post links to these pages more prominently on the Homepage. Remember that Homepage is the most frequently browsed page on the site and giving more visibility to an inside page on homepage is important even for Search engines like google.
6. Customer Testimonials – Its very important to build confidence among the community by posting testimonials by customers about your product. Keep posting testimonials regularly.
7. Set ambitious , yet achievable targets – Set targets such as getting 10 requests from the website in the 4th month of operation. Setting realistic goals is very important and it motivates the team in that manner.