We believe this is indeed a Gold mine of data for marketers and marketing strategists. Google recently launched a nice initiative – Our Mobile Planet (link) which has research, data and analysis about what users do with their smartphones. I checked some data for India and here are some interesting facts –
1. What do users do after their Local search
A lot of users call the business – which was a surprise. Visit the website and visit the business were the obvious choices. Clearly, on local searches the trick is to be present with a contact number. Check chart below
2. Advertisements on Smartphones – In India, ad awareness seems to be improving but a lot of users don’t really visit the website and do the intended action when it comes to the sponsor wanting returns from the ad. Clearly, there is still spillage and the simpler the ad, the better the returns it would seem for the smartphone user.
3. Smartphone Payment options – Frankly speaking I doubt if the base case for this will be significant enough. At max it would be the Indian iPhone users with not many of the Android users regularly transacting using Mobile phones ( not that I know of at least) Unsurprisingly, not many have used the payment options , and to the delight of a lot of ecomm firms , the preferred mode of payment is the Credit card! So clearly, all the ecomm firms, will look to create apps for its users sooner rather than later!
4. Smartphone penetration in India – The number stands at a dismal 23% only. (Dismal in my books at least ) . But that also underlines the huge opportunity with smartphones and the app makers have in future. No wonder all cell phone manufacturers want to enter the smartphone market.
5. Smartphone usage patterns in India
Clearly, the smartphone usage patterns in India show how smartphones are indeed frequently used by users. That in itself is an encouraging sign for all the startups working in the technology domain (including mine of course – A new age real estate portal 🙂 ) Notice how the future trends are – clearly the future is extremely encouraging!
What do you think of these findings, let us know!