CNN IBN is one of the best news channels in Indian media. It gave great news, covered almost all important topics, presented both sides of the coin, and offered something for everyone. It covered politics, technology, finance, business, religion, travel and many other diverse fields and that is what made it special. When IBNLive.com was launched about 2 years back, it was really an amazing site! However a lot has changed over the past 2 years and this article will try to expand on IbnLive.com and some good and bad features of it.
- The Content: I think emphasizes it a lot and whatever I will be writing here will be a repetition of the point made above. The various fields, indepth analysis, (mostly) unbiased views, and good journalism made IBN the first choice as a news channel. By putting almost all the content online IBNLive.com was able to provide amazing content to the internet.
- Functionality: The site had amazing functionality as the video player was smooth, the bandwidth was great and the downloading did not take forever like with most Indian video providers. The experience was amazing with IBNLive.com
- Mostly Ad-free: The videos did not really interrupt you too much. There was not too much advertising and it felt that IBNLive.com was being looked at as a way to make people aware about IBN the newschannel.
- The Over Advertising: Please note the red circles in the image above. It highlights 3 google adsense placements with a simple story on IBNLive.com, plus the whole page had a couple more of google ads. Sometimes this really makes me wonder how much money will IBN be geneating through IBNLive.com? Is it really worth diluting their content and the appearance of their website? Plus note the popup blocker gets activated! IBNLive.com is acting just like million other spam sites!
- Equity Dilution through portals: IBNLive.com was an amazing site but then by launching multiple portals they have just diluted their equity. They have Tech2, CricketNext, Buzz18, Josh and god knows what all. They have moved them all into in.com domain but the dilution has had its effect.
The ugliness is something very apparent in the statistics. Just browsing through Alexa tells you the difference. IBNLive.com has an alexa rank in India of 3,478 and NDTV.com (a close competitior) is 89. Many startups and blogs have a much better ranking than IBNLive.com on the web in India.
I still believe that IBNLive.com has a great potential in front of it and it just needs to review its online strategy. People might say that India has such low internet penetration that companies really don’t care about web presence. Well see where the world is moving and see the potential of IBNLive.com and then decide whether it is worth it or not.